We participate in many regional and national efforts that support the philanthropic and nonprofit sectors. Some of these are memberships, some are participation in funder collaboratives and some are a mix of the two. Our support of these efforts, including membership “dues”, typically comes in the form of a grant. It is an opportunity to live our value of “work beyond ourselves” – a chance to lead and follow, an opportunity to work in collaboration with others to have more impact.
The Bush Foundation is a member or participant of the following:
- Asian American Pacific Islanders in Philanthropy
- Association of Black Foundation Execs
Building Movement Project (Leadership Development Funders Group)
- Communications Network
- Council on Foundations
- Emerging Practitioners in Philanthropy (EPIP)
- Foundation Financial Officers Group
- Grantmakers for Education
- Grantmakers for Effective Organizations
- Grantmakers in the Arts
- Hispanics in Philanthropy
- Independent Sector
Leadership Learning Community
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Minnesota Council on Foundations
- Minnesota Evaluation Association
- Mission Investors Exchange
- National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy
- Native Americans in Philanthropy
- PEAK Grantmaking
Racial Equity to Accelerate Change Fund at Borealis Philanthropy
- Saint Paul Chamber of Commerce
- Technology Association of Grantmakers
We are interested in being a member of regional or national efforts that do some or all of the following:
- Provide critical leadership and support for the philanthropic and/or nonprofit sector.
- Focus on areas that align with our mission or strategy.
- Provide data and analysis of trends in the philanthropic and/or nonprofit sector.
- Provide benefits to our staff and board for their learning and development.
We sometimes provide additional support for events or opportunities for organizations we support as a member. We will consider funding events or opportunities that do some or all of the following:
- Are hosted in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota or the 23 Native nations that share the same geography.
- Have the potential for significant impact in the philanthropic and/or nonprofit sector.
- Advance racial equity in the philanthropic and/or nonprofit sector.
How to Apply
If you would like us to consider participating in your organization or effort, email your membership materials or a link to the relevant page(s) on your website to email@example.com. Please include your mission, typical support amounts and member benefits (if applicable). If we’re currently a member of your organization, you will automatically be considered for renewal and there’s no need to submit materials.
Some proposals we receive are a better fit for our President’s Innovation and Partnership Fund. If that’s the case with your proposal, we’ll let you know that you’ll be considered in that way. All other requests will be reviewed and considered on an annual basis as described below.
Selection Process and Timeline
We review our membership participation on an annual basis. All of our current memberships will be automatically considered for renewal, alongside any new requests we receive. Each year, a small team of Bush Foundation staff will:
- Review our existing memberships and any new requests in July.
- Make decisions about our organization memberships in August.
- Notify organizations in September.
- Make payments to membership organizations in January of the next calendar year.
Requests for event or special opportunity support will be accepted and reviewed periodically. Only organizations the Bush Foundation supports as a member are eligible for this funding.
We’re Here to Help
For more information or to talk with someone about memberships, email firstname.lastname@example.org.