Ro Adebiyi was born in Nigeria, but raised in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He graduated in 2003 with a bachelor’s degree in sociology from the University of Michigan, where he was involved in local mentorship initiatives, Third-World development projects, and served as a two-year captain on the University of Michigan Men’s basketball team. Ro returned to the University of Michigan in 2005 to attend law school, after a stint as a paralegal at a Washington, D.C. law firm.
Following graduation from law school, he worked as an associate at a Houston law firm, started a web-based sponsorship/endorsement company with friends back in Ann Arbor, served as counsel for a small commodities trading firm just outside of New York City, and then moved to Minnesota to oversee state-wide voting initiatives as a senior staff member of the 2012 Obama Reelection Campaign. Minnesota immediately embraced and welcomed Ro, and following his post-election selection to the 2012 Inaugural Committee, he returned to Minneapolis to join the legal team at Thrivent Financial.
Ro previously served as the Chief Legal Officer for the brightpeak financial division of Thrivent Financial, and is currently serving as Senior Counsel, working on various insurance and compliance matters with impact across the broader Thrivent organization.
- AAU basketball coach and youth/career mentor
- Volunteer at the Salvation Army’s “Harbor Light House” kitchen
- Board member and volunteer of Junior Achievement of the Upper Midwest
- Board member of Reve Academy
- Board member of the Center for Economic Inclusion
- Board of Trustees for Twin Cities Public Television (Twin Cities PBS).